What is the best way to stop a dog from peeing in your house? Let's see what the experts say!
First though are you trying to keep a puppy from going potty in your home or stop a dog from submissive peeing or do you have a male dog that is marking your house? Let's start with puppy urination.
How To Prevent My Puppy From Excitement Urination
When you come home from work or come home after being gone for an hour your puppy is happy to see you and some puppies will pee in their kennels or pee on you when you are taking them out trying to get them in the backyard.
So What Can I Do To Stop My Puppy From Peeing When Excited?
1. Place the crate as close to the backdoor as possible (or whatever door you take him out to potty) and take him out as soon as you get home
2. Do not greet your puppy with excitement but rather stay calm and quiet. Only after they go potty or #2 outside can you praise your puppy
3. When your puppy gets excited teach him the sit or down command, keep their minds busy with obedience training
4. Reward calm behavior and teach puppy to sit when he gets excited
5. Do not physically or verbally reprimand your puppy if they pee out of excitement but rather stay calm
Submissive Peeing In The House & How To Stop It
1. Let your dog approach you and avoid eye contact at first
2. Lead your dog outside while still avoiding eye contact and tell him to go potty, only after he goes potty then greet him
3. Remain calm and avoid raising your voice but instead talk softly
4. If your dog is treat motivated or ball motivated try a game of fetch or throw a treat away from you outside and tell dog to go potty calmly
5. Don't lean over and pet your submissive dog on the head and keep movements slow and your voice soft and quiet
What To Do If Your Dog Is Marking In Your House?
If you have a dog that marks his or her territory in your home then here are some tips on how to counter his or her bad behavior. As silly as it may sound to some people your dog may be marking in your home to remind others of his status as pack leader. So what to do?
1. Establish a hierarchy by not allowing your dog to sleep in your bed with you (this admittedly would be really hard for me). This will tell him that he is not the one in charge, you are.
2. Of course neuter your dog as early as possible. If your dog does not reach sexual maturity then he will less likely be advertising his maturity to others.
3. Supervise your dog and document when he marks in the house. Catching him marking will help a lot
4. Get rid of the smell by using an enzyme deodorizing product
5. Crate your dog if you have to when you aren't home or can't watch him
6. Try using a belly band. Dogs don't like sitting in their own waste so this might prevent them from eliminating in the house
7. Consult your vet
If you have researched how to stop your dog from peeing in your house and nothing works consult your vet in case there is a medical problem like an UTI. You can also work with a trained professional like a dog behaviorist as well.