Is Mulch Toxic to Dogs?
Mulch made from cocoa shells is known as cocoa bean mulch, and it is particularly toxic to dogs. Homeowners with dogs should stay clear of this type of mulch and seek a less toxic alternative. While others types of mulch may not necessarily be toxic, they can also be dangerous.
Types of Mulch Safe for Pets
Mulch Is A Choking Hazard So Be Careful
However, keep in mind that dogs can choke on mulch and must still be supervised. This is especially true with pine needle mulch, as the pine needles can actually puncture the stomach lining if ingested.
Allergic Reaction To Mulch In Dogs
Some dogs and cats may exhibit symptoms of allergic reaction to certain types of mulch. Signs that your pet may be suffering from an allergic reaction include
If you suspect that your pet has had an allergic reaction from mulch, it is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately.